In appreciation of International Yoga Day, we teamed up with a few like-minded brands to teach a free hot-yoga class for San Francisco locals.
I have been a part of the Soma team since the beginning of our journey, and I've been fortunate enough to teach yoga in my spare time at Core Power Yoga.
In the spirit of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I wanted to share my best advice on making healthy choices with the Soma community.
6 Tips on Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle
When I am about to make a choice in my day-to-day, I try to mantra out the following:
- Eat mostly plant-based foods - Go for green juices, fruits, kale, and veggies.
- Listen to your body - Listen - Are you full? Fatigued? Listen to your body -- it likes to talk to you.
- Drink more water - Hydration is key to great skin, hair, and feeling alive.
- Get your heart rate up daily - Move. Walk. Wake up to some Sun Salutations.
- Consume meat sparingly & be conscious of protein - Our ancestors did not chase down deer every day, so I'd assume it isn't too great for our gut to eat meat at every meal. But, make sure to consume complete proteins.
- Cheat day is crucial - Don't skip out on the dark chocolate or froyo all the time, you'll just overindulge later.
And finally, slow down and enjoy every experience. Take in the people around you, the food, and the culture you foster through every experience.
It's the community that we cultivate that will turn us inward to be more conscious in our day-to-day.
Do what makes you feel good, and stop doing what makes you feel bad. It's that simple.
P.S. Check out our slideshow photo recap from the event, and follow us on Instagram to find out about our next Yoga session!